Vegan empanada dough
Easy dough recipe with just 4 ingredients
While many have tried and failed to make a vegan empanada dough recipe by adding plant based ingredients, it’s simply the case of removing the eggs from a standard dough recipe that yeilds the best results when making a vegan-friendly dough recipe.
Our recipe is easy to follow and quick to make, and besides the dough resting time, this vegan empanada dough recipe takes just 15 minutes to prepare.
Standard dough or puff pastry dough?
Empanada dough is typically made with olive oil, giving it a soft yet deliciously crunchy texture.
If you’re looking to make vegan puff pastry, use vegan butter instead. Easy!
If you’re on the fence and not sure which to choose, here’s just a few health benefits asscoaited with good quality olive oil!
Olive oil and in particular extra-virgin olive oil has an ever-expanding list of health benefits confirmed and can easily substitute butter in many recipes. Butter is high in saturated fats and can lead to weight gain. Butter can also lead to high cholesterol and increase your chance of heart disease.
Olive oil on the other hand is a far healthier choice when cooking. While olive oil does contain some saturated fats (around 10%), the majority of fat in olive oil is a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid, which is good for you.
Olive oil also contains a high amount of antioxidants along with anti-inflammatory properties. Here are a few more reasons why extra-virgin olive oil is so good for your health:
Olive oil health benefits
- Protects against heart disease
- Prevents strokes and promotes healthy blood flow throughout the body
- Does not cause weight gain and has been shown it can help moderate weight, with some experts even claiming it helps weight loss
- Reduces the risk of type-2 diabetes
- Olive oil contains antibacterial properties
- Can help treat Rheumatoid Arthritis
Equipment needed for lemon & olive oil bizcocho
- Clean flat surface
- 1 large mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- parchment paper
Makes 1 large ball, enough to make 10 small empanadas.
- 12 Oz. (340 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅞ cup water (200 ml) warm
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin,
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl. Add the olive oil and salt.
- Next, slowly add the warm water and incorporate all ingredients with a large spoon. It will gradually form small breadcrumbs, add some more warm water and keep mixing until the breadcrumbs resemble a ball.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a large flat surface and knead the dough for around 8-10 minutes by hand.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or damp towel and let rest to prevent the surface from drying. Let it rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours or even better, overnight.
- Note: It is possible to use the dough after 15 minutes in the fridge, but it will be tricky to manage and the dough will try to return to a ball shape, making it hard to make flat disks.
- After leaving your dough in the fridge, stretch the dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface with just a little wheat flour (or use a sheet of parchment paper instead of flour). If you find your dough is sticking to the rolling pin, sprinkle a little more flour over the dough surface.
- Form small dough balls of approximately 1 ¾ ounce (50 grams) and use your thumb and fingers to gently make a rough disk shape. Next, roll out the small disks on some parchment paper. Ideally, aim to make disks around 2-3mm thick and around 5-6 inches in diameter.
Looking for some dough inspiration?
Check out these easy-to-follow recipes!
Reach out and say hi!
Papas Arrugadas with mojo verde and a spicy mojo picónfacebooktwitterinstagrampinterestyoutube Papas arrugadas, or Canarian wrinkly potatoes as they are also affectionately known, originate from the Canary Islands and are one of the easiest tapas...
Oven baked fish casserole with romesco sauce, tomato, and garlicfacebooktwitterinstagrampinterestyoutube Soft oven baked fish combined with a delicious homemade romesco sauce and garnished with tomato, red onion, fresh rosemary, and bay leaves....
Romesco Sauce Super-easy 10 minute recipefacebooktwitterinstagrampinterestyoutube This Romesco Sauce recipe is a total game-changer; once you make it, you'll be liberally applying it. to virtually every dish imaginable! Perfect with fish or...